Saturday, February 10, 2018

Chapter 15. Not Boy Scouts (Mon. 07:40 - pt. 2)

Mon. 07:40: An attractive cop, with her blond hair tied in a bun, approached the house. Max stepped out on the stoop to sit down. He greeted her, lifting a cup of coffee and tried to imagine what she’d look like with her hair down… “Good morning officer.”
She stood facing Max, poised feet planted apart, with her note pad out and asked, “Did you see what happened?”
“Naw, I was in bed when I heard the crash,” damn, he thought, why am I covering for Nick, of all people?
“You must have seen someone leaving the scene over there.” she scowled. She knew Max wasn’t telling the truth.
“I’m on my first cup of mud.”  Still in his robe he could have very well appeared to have been sipping on that first cup of coffee in the morning to anyone else. In truth, he’d been home for two hours after the graveyard shift typing out a daily meditation he liked to e-mail to his sponsor. He was actually holding his third cup. “I usually set the coffee machine before I go to bed…” at least that was the truth.
“Look, you don’t have to cover for Baker…” she said.
He detected a Mona Lisa smirk of acknowledgement… a sense that she knew what Nick was about and knew about how someone in the DA’s office had been protecting him.
“Honest, I didn’t see anything.”
So much for my AA program… rigorous honesty, he thought, except when it is harmful to yourself or others. But he sensed she had more than a mild distaste for the whole business and maybe she would be eager to put an end to it.
“Ryan told me all about you before… I’m Casey, Irene Casey,” she handed Max a card. “If you start remembering what you saw, let me know.”
Damn, he thought, she’d become as friendly as she was good looking, “You work with Ryan?”
“No, but we're good friends. He tells me things… you know, just a few tid-bits.” She put a hand on the seat of the Rebel and patted it. “Nice bike. I like these Hondas. I had one as a learner bike and preferred it to the Harley my husband bought me. This is an older one too. What year?”
“Eighty-nine.” Max said, thinking… how unprofessional. Women, they always say something to let you know they are married or have a boyfriend…they do that if they want you to know when they are friendly that they are doing business and not flirting… apparently, even with a badge. Max had an overwhelming desire to be honest with this particular cop but knew that he could get his ass in a wringer if he told her too much… so, he lied again, “Look, I did see something. But I don’t want it… you know, what I tell you to get around… you know, they say, ‘off the record’?”
She tucked her note pad in her pocket and snorted unlady-like, “I’m a cop, not a reporter but, you have my word.”
“I saw him cut through that parking lot towards State Street,” he lied again. He couldn’t trust her with what he knew.  Check her out some more. “You know an Officer Richards? What do you think of him?”
Her eyes went into a squint. He’d asked something that was too personal. She'd already crossed the professional line so she answered, “I don’t work with him. But you have to be honest with me if you want to keep this ‘off the record’.”
Max thought, what the hell, I might as well take a chance, “I’ll get down with the truth if you get honest with me.”  She could be on my side. At least she might not want to cover for Nick.
“You’re supposed to trust me, I’m the cop,” she said with a thumb pressing the badge out from her shirt.
“I haven’t had too much luck with that one. You might have heard.”
“I’m married to Richards…” she offered her hidden truth.
“But your name tag says Casey… Now, how can I trust you?”
“We’re separated… getting a divorce. I took back my name.” She tried to assure Max that this meant something, “Look, I know I oughtn’t to let you know about my private life but…”
“But you want me to be honest with you now?” his mind was in high gear… it was a futile high-speed chase... he sped through what she was telling him… running every stop sign that told him it was dangerous to let her know what he knew. “Yes, it was Nick, but I don’t know where he’d go,” he murmured.
“Thanks, I think I can work with you on this… I’m a friend of Teresa,” she said as she suddenly saddled the bike, sat comfortably on it leaning forward, holding the hand grips as though she were riding it and then, just as smartly, dismounted, slyly smiling, added, “and Ryan too.”
“If I were a cop I’d be checking on Adrienne’s place. He’ll end up there eventually.”
Max shook his head to dismiss what he was thinking as she walked back to the squad car… It was just a passing thought, but her ass looked fine enough under those regulation police belts, gear and slacks. He could detect that slight and wondrous female sway her equipment belt couldn’t hide… the movement of hips that cops of her gender try to flatten out in their gait when they walk. No, not this one, he turned and went back to his desk thinking, “No real female companionship in my life since I got sober…” She wasn’t his type, but he wondered when he’d ever have a woman to warm his bed regularly. He picked up the phone and called his sponsor, Jimbo, and told him all about the gorgeous female cop.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 24. The Dick of Despair

23:00: Miguel had been in his kitchen when a few of his heavies from Oxnard and Santa Maria arrived. Besides Yuri and Dimitri, he had only ...