Monday, December 18, 2017

Chapter 12. 1999 - The Legacy (Pt. 1)

Adrienne’s withdrawals receded the way a tide goes out after a tsunami… with waves of anxiety and cramps… muscle-memory... hunger… they receded, and she began to feel better, drinking orange juice and coffee… lots of coffee. This is the phase where the hunger usually kicked in, the obsession, another fix would.... But she was relieved and happy this time to be able to spend a few months on her family’s estate southwest of Biarritz where; besides Alesandro, the Algerian cook, and a Spanish Basque house maid, she had the whole property to herself. She rode her roan, Ariel, in the hills above the estate alone and sometimes with Alesandro. She heard him tell, for the first time, in detail of Carabanchel; her father’s part in freeing him and traversing the Pyrenees between Spain and France alone or with the fiery woman, Iniga.
“Did my father and Iniga…”
“No, she was still but a child when he first knew her.”
“I am just curious…” she asked defensively as he seemed annoyed at her probes.

Rémy and Adrienne’s mother, Johanna, returned to the house after spending most of that time in Paris taking care of the rest of Fournier estate. Much to Rémy’s chagrin; Johanna eventually stepped in and wrangled control from him, taking over where she and Marcel secretly conspired to venture since the early years of their marriage.
Johanna’s face had ten extra years etched by weary lines, and her eyes drooped ever so slightly, as she joined Adrienne in the dining room. However, ageless to her daughter she still possessed an aristocratic bearing…an undeniable spirit within that had gotten stronger since returning from Paris. Rémy had taken off to Bayonne in his latest ostentatious acquisition, an Austin Martin, so Adrienne understood this to be a discrete business sitting.
They embraced and held each other until their sobs receded and sat at the same teak dining table where there were so many arguments with her father, “Mother I have wanted you to hold me since returning. I miss you more than anything. I assumed father would live forever and now I miss him so. I am so sorry I treated him badly.”
“He has had a heart condition since his imprisonment in Asturias. He loved you and knew the sorrows you faced and was proud of your paintings. He admired them and loved the fact you never asked for help. Despite my urgings, you know. It’s a miracle he lived this long.”
“I know. It breaks my heart to think…”
“He loved you most of all because you never flaunted like Rémy. He’s upset with me. We fought. He thinks he has all rights as the male heir. Nonsense. Let me say, he wanted complete control of the estates finances. This can’t be so. He loves the trapping of wealth and despises the responsibility that comes with it. He will squander it and do everything he can to cut you off.”
“But mother, I’m worse than him. I’m a junky.”
“More nonsense. I’ve put all of it in order and made sure your stipend is generous enough to live well. He can run the business, but I held back the rest of the inheritance in a trust so that he can’t waste it. You want to paint. You paint, he can play the big shot.
“Mother, but I.”
“Stop. You are an artist. The world needs women artists. Marcel valued that over anything else. I’ve assumed the role of the matron of the estate until I die, and he can have his share after that and do what he wishes. In the meantime, I am to make sure that Marcel’s work continues.”
“I never thought of you as matron, Ma-Mére.”
Johanna laughed, “You must have noticed how well I kept your secrets.”
“Oui,” Adrienne smiled, “you were my confidante, Ma-Mére.”
“Sure, I keep secrets well. I still do. I can say that I learned more than most during the war and I had something to do with covert financing of the resistance.”
“I never knew anything about that either. You know everything about me, but I know so little about you and father.”
“It is better that you don’t know, for now.”

Adrienne wanted to know much more but her mother changed the subject as she probed further; so, she went to Alesandro on their next ride, and complained, “Mother is so secretive. I can’t find out anything. She knows all about me. I’ve told her more than I’ve ever shared with anyone. I’ve learned more than anything I knew before, but… but she served an aperitif, you see, and never the entrée.”
“Okay, I’ll tell you more, but you must never let on and never share any of this with anyone while she lives.
“Oui, Mes lèvres sont scellées. My lips are sealed. forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 24. The Dick of Despair

23:00: Miguel had been in his kitchen when a few of his heavies from Oxnard and Santa Maria arrived. Besides Yuri and Dimitri, he had only ...